Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Noise?




My song to represent WC Administration: https://youtu.be/R80JG-n2Bzs 

Beth Boquet, at times, has me buying in to her noise metaphor. For example, when she discusses the disgruntled email from PC, I bought into her analogy regarding the effects the letter had on her understanding of writing center work—effects of distortion, of reverb, of disruption. Too, I thought the Jimi Hendrix analogy was effective for representing the idea of risk, play, and noise. In these examples, I thought the metaphor was clear and strong. In other parts, however, I wanted her to explain and analyze more fully the application of the noise metaphor. After talking with Morgan about the book (she was able to read Noise in its entirety), I learned that Boquet repeats this in other sections of the book: under analyzed, underexplored assertions and reflections. I would be interested in seeing how the rest of the book plays out: what are her overall arguments about this metaphor? Does she address the limitations of this metaphor?

What do you all think about the metaphor?


1 comment:

  1. Metaphors are really hard. I was trying to come up with a metaphor for administration for the administrative philosophy statement I wrote earlier this week, and I failed. I had a lot of ideas, but none of them seemed to hold up for more than a few aspects of administration. Administration is like administration! I don't know.

    It makes me think about how we've been talking about how metaphors help you connect knew knowledge to old knowledge in Dr. Ranieri's class. If I struggle so much with crafting metaphors to explain something, what does that say about about the state of my knowledge?

    My point is, after realizing my own struggles with metaphor, I want to throw much less shade Boquet's way. She did okay, even if she could have explained certain bits more thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete